Inpsiration from Cartier-Bresson

Student Demonstration, Paris
June 1968
printed 1968
15 5/8 x 23 1/16" (39.7 x 58.6 cm)
MoMA, Gift of the photographer

This past week I attended the media preview of Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century retrospective at the High Museum in Atlanta. I love his photos from Paris, but I was stopped in my tracks from the images of the 1968 demonstrations. The photo of students marching through the streets, arms locked in solidarity and the Panthéon in the hazy distance actually made me a little verklempt. Maybe it's because the last part of Remain in Light is set 1968 during this tumultuous time. I could so easily see Jean-Louis and his young lover Frederick in the faces of the young men marching. The exhibition was a new wellspring for inspiration. Back to writing.

Comments

Popular Posts